Have you been wondering what tech jobs pay well and allow you to work remotely? Well, you’re not alone. It’s no news that tech is the new crude and thousands of people across the globe are making big bucks from the comfort of their homes in this industry.
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in tech, I advise you read this article till the end. We’ve handpicked the top 10 paying remote tech jobs that are currently in demand and will be for the next decade. We’ll be discussing each career path in detail including the job description, responsibilities, required skills, salary range, qualifications and certifications for each tech job.
Sounds like your cup of tea? Read on to get the details.
Top 10 Well-Paying Remote Tech Jobs
- System Analyst
- Blockchain Developer
- Product Manager
- Frontend Developers
- Backend Developers
- Full stack Developers
- DevOps Engineers
- Big Data Engineers
- Robotics Engineers
- Cloud Computing Engineers
1 . System Analyst
A system analyst specializes in analyzing, designing and implementing information systems to suit the business needs of their employers. Their main purpose is to optimize users’ experience with programs.
Responsibilities Of Systems Analyst
● Analysing the company’s current systems.
● Gathering important information or data from users.
● Writing requirements for new systems or modifying the existing ones.
● Collaborating with other IT staff in producing new systems.
● Implementing new systems.
● User training and feedback.
Required Skills For Systems Analyst
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office ( including MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and Publisher.
● Knowledge of programming languages in programs like SQL, Oracle, C++, Java, Unified Modeling Language (UML), SAP business software applications and web-based technologies.
● Systems administration skills.
Qualifications and Training For Systems Analyst
Most systems analysts are graduates of business and IT-related courses such as business studies, computer science, information technology, and electrical engineering.
There is no professional license needed to work in this industry but you may consider getting the following certifications to boost your skills and resume. This will help you stand a better chance of getting hired.
● Software Engineering Master Certification (SEMC) offered by the IEEE Computer Society
● Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) offered by Global Knowledge
● Professional Business Analyst Certificate offered by Global Knowledge.
Average Annual Salary For Systems Analyst – $68,345
Entry level (0 – 1 year)- $58,474
Early Career (1-4 years)- $63,565
Mid-Career (5-9 years)- $72,431
Late Career (10-19 years)- $78,680
Experienced (20+ years)- $85,830
Job Outlook For Systems Analyst
As of 2021, the U.S Bureau of Labour Statistics recorded 538,000 employed system analysts and this number is expected to increase by 9% in 2031, raising the total number to 589,000. This means that there’ll be approximately 53,000 new job opportunities for systems analysts.
Typical Employers For System Analysts
● Commercial and Industrial organisations
● IT or software consultancy firms
● Financial institutions
● Civil service
● Service industries
2 . Blockchain Developer
Blockchain developers have the responsibility of designing systems to record and store blockchain data in a way that prevents hacks or breaches. As a blockchain developer, you’ll have to analyse your employer’s blockchain needs, design customized blockchain technologies, and launch and maintain their blockchain network.
Responsibilities Of A Blockchain Developer
● Working with managers to determine the company’s blockchain needs.
● Creating application features and interfaces by writing multithreaded codes and using programming languages.
● Using cryptology techniques to protect digital transaction data against hackers and cyber-attacks.
● Securing and optimizing blockchain applications by incorporating new tools and technologies.
● Documenting blockchain development process and abiding by best practices in data protection.
Required Skills For Blockchain Developer
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or other related courses
● Proficiency in programming languages such as Java, C++, and Python.
● Experience in back-end development, data structures and algorithms.
● Knowledge of cryptography, blockchain protocols and best practices in blockchain data protection and management.
Qualifications and Training For Blockchain Developers
To become a blockchain developer, first, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, web development, software development, database management, information technology or other science-related courses. Most importantly you need to be enthusiastic about blockchain technology. This industry is constantly evolving, so you’ll need to keep an open mind to continuous learning. In the meantime, you can enrol in these blockchain courses to get certified and increase your chances of getting hired.
Average Annual Salary For Blockchain Developers – $102,154
Entry level (0 – 1 year)- $91,584
Early Career (1-3 years)- $97,835
Mid-Career (4-6 years)- $105,896
Experienced (7-9 years)- $111,262
Job Outlook For Blockchain Developers
As of 2021, the blockchain market is valued at $4.9 billion and is projected to reach $67.4 billion by 2026. That’s a shocking 68.4% annual growth rate. Even the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics forecast 411,400 new jobs for software developers by 2031. This means one thing, there’ll be increased demand for blockchain developers shortly and you’d be making the right decision to hop on this career path.
Typical Employers For Blockchain Developers
● Industries and big companies like oil & gas, banks, insurance and accountancy firms.
● Startups and independent businesses.
● Tech firms
3 . Product Manager
The job of a product manager involves planning and executing a product’s life cycle. Product managers work together with marketing, sales and engineering teams to create differentiated products that address the market/users’ needs and at the same time represent a viable business opportunity.
Responsibilities Of A Product Manager
● Identifying and representing user/customer needs.
● Monitoring the marketing and carrying out competitive analysis.
● Define the product vision, strategy and roadmap
● Defining the product’s features and capabilities.
● Gather, manage and prioritize customers/market requirements
● Collaborating with other departments to create, brand and market the product.
H3 Required Skills For Product Managers
● Understanding of web development. You must not know how to code, but a basic understanding of what it entails is required.
● Technical writing skills
● Market research skills. This includes conducting interviews, surveys, and gathering feedback.
● Knowledge of user experience best practices.
Qualifications and Training For Product Managers
All you need to start your career as a product manager is a bachelor’s degree in business, economics, computer science, marketing, statistics and management. You can also go for an MBA program or better still opt for an online course and get certified as a product manager. We recommend the following certification programs.
Average Annual Salary For Product Managers- $113,446
Entry level (0 – 2 years)- $69,630
Early Career (3 – 5 years)- $70,825
Mid-Career (5-9 years)- $89,536
Late Career (10-19 years)- $123,868
Experienced (20+ years)- $156,464
Job Outlook For Product Managers
According to the Future of Product Management Report, product managers are in high demand as 43% of companies are hiring more product managers. It’s been estimated that the product management market will continue to rise globally and by 2025, the market would be worth $31.84 billion. This means there are enough job opportunities to explore and you don’t have to worry about market saturation.
Typical Employers For Product Managers
Most of the companies that hire product managers are leading tech companies like- Microsoft, Uber, Amazon, Google, Cisco Systems, Dell technology, Apple, and Meta.
4 . Frontend Developers
Responsibilities Of Front-end Developers
● Optimizing user experience
● Designing and maintaining the user interface
● Creating tools that enhance the site’s interaction on all browsers
● Creating and maintaining the mobile and responsive design of the website
● Following SEO best practices
● Debugging the system software and testing for usability
● Managing software workflow
Required Skills For Front-end Developers
● Understanding and proficiency in using frameworks in creating page structures
● Understanding and proficiency in using developer tools and software like graphic design tools (Photoshop or Sketch) and Code editing tools (Notepad, or Eclipse)
● Understanding of additional front-end development languages like Ruby, Python or PHP
● Proficiency in using CSS processors, APIs and RESTful services
Qualifications And Trainings For Front-end Developers
Average Annual Salary For Front-end Developers- $84,787
Entry level (0-1 year)- $67,912
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $72,943
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $80,041
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $83,589
Job Outlook For Front-end Developers
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the market for web developers which includes front-end developers is expected to grow 13% between 2020 to 2030 with an estimated 17,900 new job openings made available in the next decade. This shows that this career path will continue to be in demand for years to come
Typical Employers Of Front-end Developers
Front-end developers can work in almost every industry, as long as there’s a need to create a website. But typically, companies that hire remote developers are e-commerce companies like Amazon and other tech startups.
5 . Backend Developers
Backend Developers are experts who write codes that form the backbone of websites. Unlike front-end developers who control what you see on a site, back-end developers work behind the scenes to create and maintain mechanisms that process data and perform actions on the website.
Responsibilities Of Backend Developers
● Build and maintain websites with various tools, frameworks and languages.
● Write high-quality code for a sustainable web application.
● Perform quality testing assurance (QA) to ensure optimized user experience and display on different browsers and devices.
● Assess the efficiency and speed of the website and adjust the code when necessary.
● Troubleshoot and debug
● Train and support junior developers and other members of the company on website operations.
Required Skills For Back-end Developers
● Proficiency in using various frameworks linked with the programming languages such as Laravel, Django, Spring, Ruby on Rails, Meteor, and Node.js
● Understanding of database servers such as MongoDB, MySQL, Oracle, Apache and Microsoft IIS.
● Understanding of application program interface API
● Knowledge of network protocols and web security.
Qualifications And Training For Back-end Developers
To start working as a Back-end developer, you must first have in-depth knowledge of programming languages like Python and PHP. There are many online courses with certifications for you to choose from but we recommend you start with this one.
Average Annual Salary Back-end Developers- $82,326
Entry level (0-1 year)- $72,514
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $75,435
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $83,789
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $87,979
Job Outlook For Back-end Developers
The career outlook for web developers is favourable as more web development jobs are popping up. The U.S. BLS has predicted a 13% increase in the demand for web developers, including back-end developers by 2030.
Typical Employers Of Back-end Developers
Much like front-end developers, any company or business that requires a website will be needing your services as a backend developer. You can work in any industry from tech to hospitality.
6 . Full-stack Developers
Full-stack developers are experts responsible for working on both the front end and back end of the website development process. They design, develop and maintain fully-fledged platforms with databases servers and clients. These servers do not require third-party applications to function.
Responsibilities Of Full Stack Developers
● Writing clean, functional codes on the front end and back end.
● Testing, fixing bugs and other coding issues.
● Designing client-side and server-side architecture.
● Write effective APIs
● Create security and data protection settings
● Write technical documentation
Required Skills For Full Stack Developers
● Knowledge of various backend languages e.g C#, Java, Python
● Understanding of databases, web servers and UI/UX design
Qualifications And Training For Full Stack Developers
To excel as a full-stack developer, you have to be knowledgeable and comfortable with both front-end and Back-end coding languages. A degree in computer science or IT-related courses may be beneficial, but you can also enrol for online boot camps and get certified. We recommend these;
Average Annual Salary Full Stack Developers- $86,867
Entry level (0-1 year)- $76,921
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $83,422
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $88,707
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $93,211
Job Outlook For Full Stack Developers
Choosing a career as a full-stack developer is lucrative as more businesses have moved online post-COVID and these businesses need websites. The demand especially for e-commerce websites will ultimately cause an increase in the demand for full-stack developers who can create custom web portals.
Typical Employers Of Full Stack Developers
As a full-stack developer, you’ll work in many sectors including medicine, finance, IT, education and recruitment.
7 . DevOps Engineers
DevOps engineers build, test and maintain the tools and infrastructure to allow speedy development and release of the software. They work together with developers to ensure the smooth operation of a company’s IT infrastructure.
Responsibilities Of DevOps Engineers
● Implementing various developments, tests, automation and IT infrastructure.
● Understanding project KPIs and customer requirements
● Planning team structure, activities and involvement in project management activities.
● Managing stakeholders and external interfaces.
● Identifying and deploying cyber security measures by carrying out a vulnerability assessment and risk management.
● Monitoring the processes throughout the products lifecycle, creating new processes for improvement and minimising wastage.
● Selecting and deploying appropriate CI/CD tools.
● Observing and measuring customer experience and KPIs
Required Skills For DevOps Engineers
● Understanding of programming languages such as Ruby, Python, Java and Pearl
● Experience working on Linux-based infrastructure
● Ability to configure and manage databases such as Mongo, MySQL
● Troubleshooting skills
● Knowledge of critical concepts and Agile principles
● Knowledge of various tools, cloud services and open-source technology
Qualifications And Training For DevOps Engineers
To be a DevOps engineer you need a degree in software design, IT or any relevant field
Most importantly you need to enrol on a DevOps training program and get certified. You can start by checking these.
Average Annual Salary DevOps Engineers- $132,816
Entry level (0-1 year)- $115,714
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $121,388
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $133,524
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $142,878
Job Outlook For DevOps Engineers
The demand for DevOps engineers is currently on the rise as 39% of tech companies are recruiting DevOps engineers and managers across the globe.
Typical Employers Of DevOps Engineers
Companies like IBM, Deloitte, Amazon, Apple, and Google are always ready to hire DevOps engineers.
8 . Big Data Engineers
Big data engineers, as the name suggests, manage everything that has to do with the company’s data.
Responsibilities Of Big Data Engineers
● Creating systems for collecting and processing data
● Designing and implementing software systems
● Creating data architectures that meet the company’s business requirements.
● Using the Extract Transform Load ETL process
● Creating structured data solutions using programming languages and tools
● Researching new methods for obtaining valuable data
● Collaborating with data scientists and data analysts within the company.
Required Skills For Big Data Engineers
● Understanding of databases and SQL
● Understanding of programming languages like C++, Python and Java
● Data warehousing and ETL
● Proficiency in using Linux, Windows, Unix and Solaris
● Data mining and modelling
● IBM DataStage, Talend, Informatica and Pentaho
● Apache Spark
Qualifications And Training For Big Data Engineers
If you want to pursue a career path as a big data engineer, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, business or data analytics and you’ll also need to master the skills we listed above. There are lots of training programs you can enrol on and get certified. We recommend you try these.
Average Annual Salary Big Data Engineers- $116,342
Entry level (0-1 year)- $103,985
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $119,532
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $129,563
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $135,423
Job Outlook For Big Data Engineers
In 2020 alone studies show that there was a 50% increase in the demand for data engineering jobs. The Bureau of Labour Statistics BLS groups big data engineers under statisticians and computer information research scientists. They’ve projected a 33% job growth for statisticians and a 22% job growth for computer research scientists between 2020 to 2030. This implies there’ll be more job opportunities for big data engineers in the future.
Typical Employers Of Big Data Engineers
Some top companies known for hiring big data engineers are Cisco systems, Amazon, Google, Airbnb, AT&T, Facebook, Microsoft and IBM.
9 . Robotics Engineers
Robotics engineers create, assemble, and maintain robotics technology. They make use of their knowledge of computer science, electronics and mechanics to create machines to aid people in various industries.
Responsibilities Of Robotics Engineers
● Researching the various robotics fields such as artificial intelligence and nanotechnology
● Studying the components required for robotics to function properly such as micro compressors.
● Use CADD software to create blueprints and schematics for robot systems.
● Designing computer systems to operate robotics equipment
● Assembling, testing and measuring the effectiveness of robotics designs
● Troubleshooting issues within the robotics prototype
● Creating quality control documentation and acting as technical support for questions regarding new robotics equipment.
Required Skills For Robotics Engineers
● Advanced Mathematics
● In-depth knowledge of science and robotics
● Understanding of artificial intelligence
● Critical thinking and analysis
● Creative thinking, attention to detail, problem-solving, flexibility, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Qualifications And Training For Robotics Engineers
To become a robotics engineer, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree in software development, electronic engineering, computer programming or other relevant fields. You may also want to go for extra training programs on robotics and get certified to increase your chances of getting hired. Some recognised robotics certifications you can go for are:
Average Annual Salary Robotics Engineers- $100,285
Entry level (0-1 year)- $87,399
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $94,090
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $103,882
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $112,038
Job Outlook For Robotics Engineers
According to GlobalData, the robotics engineering job market was valued at $45.3 billion in 2020 and is projected to have an annual growth rate of 28% between 2020-2030 which is higher than average.
Typical Employers Of Robotics Engineers
As a robotics engineer, you can work in various industries from agriculture to medicine and commerce. Some top-rated companies that hire robotics engineers are NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Amazon robotics and Carnegie Mellon university.
10 . Cloud Computing Engineers
Cloud engineers are IT experts that build and maintain cloud infrastructure. They also develop codes, design cloud solutions and work with cloud networks. The presence of cloud computing engineers and cloud-based technology ensures that all company and client data are backed up safely and easily.
Responsibilities Of Cloud Computing Engineers
● Creating databases and applications that works on the cloud.
● Configuring cloud infrastructure including networking and security services.
● Helping companies migrate their computer systems to the clouds
● Monitoring cloud management and data management services.
Required Skills For Cloud Computing Engineers
● Knowledge of cloud platforms and how to work with cloud infrastructure providers such as Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and IBM cloud.
● Excellent data storage and security skills
● Understanding of networking basics and virtual networks
● Understanding of operating systems such as Linux and Windows
Qualifications And Training For Cloud Computing Engineers
A bachelor’s degree in computer or any related field is the first thing you need plus you must possess the skills mentioned earlier and lastly enrol for a professional course and get certified. We recommend these for beginners.
Average Annual Salary Cloud Computing Engineers – $152,357
Entry level (0-1 year)- $126,959
Early Career (1- 3 years)- $131,587
Mid-Career (4 -6 years)- $157,749
Experienced (7 -9 years)- $168,027
Job Outlook For Cloud Computing Engineers
Cloud computing jobs are currently high in demand as the need for cloud data storage continues to rise. According to Gartner, the market is currently worth $304.9 billion and is still expected to grow in the future. It’s safe to say that you’ll never run out of job opportunities when you choose a career path as a cloud computing engineer.
Typical Employers Of Cloud Computing Engineers
You’ll find that these companies are always looking to hire cloud engineers. Google, IBM, Oracle, Accenture, Deloitte, Microsoft and Amazon.
Where To Find Tech Jobs
Now that you know the top 10 paying tech jobs, I’m guessing the next question on your mind is where do you find these jobs?
Well, an easy route would be to optimize your LinkedIn profile and maximize LinkedIn job search features to land your dream tech job. Or you can check out our list of remote jobs across the world right here.