Study in the Netherlands
The Orange Knowledge Program offers scholarships to mid-career professionals looking
to obtain further education (master’s degree and other short-term courses).
If you fall into this category, then this program is for you.
I’ll be sharing necessary
information on what the Orange Knowledge Program is about, the organisers, eligibility
criteria, application process, deadline and other important information.
About The Orange Knowledge Program Scholarship
The Orange Knowledge Program is aimed at advancing the development of knowledge,
capacity and quality of both individuals and institutions in the field of higher learning,
vocational education and other fields related to priority themes in the selected countries.
This particular scholarship is only available for short-term courses ( duration of 2 weeks
to 12 months) and master’s programmes (duration of 12 to 24 months). The scholarship is
open to employees in both the public and private sectors but closed to students wishing to
enrol on undergraduate programs.
About The Organisers
The Orange Knowledge Program is an initiative of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
and is funded by them through the budget for Development Cooperation. In collaboration
with the Ministry, Nuffic is the body charged with the management of this scholarship
Nuffic is an independent, non-profit organisation based in the Netherlands. It is the Dutch
organisation responsible for the internalisation of education and partners with the Dutch
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Culture and Science and the Dutch Ministry of Education to
provide quality and subsidized learning for both indigenous and international students.
So here’s how the program works. Selected Dutch Institutions that offer selected courses
approved by Nuffic apply to be scholarship hosts. Nuffic then grants an award to these
institutions to finance the scholarship for which the scholarship holder (international
student) was selected.
The Dutch institutions are responsible for selecting the scholarship holders, managing the
grant activities and are accountable to Nuffic.
There are three application rounds each year and you can apply for a scholarship during
an open application round. The expected application rounds for 2022 are:
Round 1- March 22
Round 2- June 28
Round 3 – For short courses
The application starts between 31 August to 11 October at 16:00 CET.
Courses start on 20 February 2023 and should be completed by 31 August 2023.
Currently, there is no other application round available for 2023 and the above
application dates (Round 3) is the last official opportunity for OKP scholarships. Also,
take note that deadlines may differ with the institution. The institution you applied to may
decide to shorten its deadline for application. So you’ll need to consult your educational
institution for the exact deadlines.
The Orange Knowledge Program Scholarship Coverage
Fully funded. This includes full tuition fees, study materials, travel and living costs.
OKP scholarships are awarded to selected individuals (male and female) who are:
- Living and working in an OKP country.
- Proficient in French or English.
- Working in one of the local or national organisations in the country e.g secondary or higher vocational academic institutions, ministries, commissions, universities and the private sector.
- Must hold a valid identity document
- Must provide an employer statement and government statement with the application if required.
- Should have a positive reference from the employee showing willingness that it
The Orange Knowledge Program Application Process
To apply, please visit the Dutch education institution of your choice and follow these
- Check if your application falls within the priority themes or focus areas for your country by checking the Country Focus Document.
- Check to see if you meet the OKP eligibility criteria.
- Find your desired course of study on the OKP course list.
- Ask your employer to nominate you for an OKP scholarship.
- Contact the Dutch educational institution of your choice to find out more about the application procedure, academic requirements and the link to apply online.
- Prepare your application. This should include your passport, employer statement or government statement.
- Using the link you received from the Dutch institution, submit your application
during the open application round before the deadline.
Source: George Pak | Pexels
- Dutch education institutions receive applications from registered candidates.
- They nominate candidates based on their level of qualification and submit the grant application.
- Embassies assess the applications and check for eligibility.
- Selection results are made known through Dutch education institutions which then
award scholarship grants to the recipients.
The Orange Knowledge Program offers scholarships to a wide range of courses but gives
priority to a few. These prioritized courses are referred to as “priority themes” and they
differ per country. To find out which priority themes are available for your country.
The main priority themes for the Orange Knowledge Program are:
- Security and social law
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Water management
- Food and nutrition security
Eligible Countries For The Orange Knowledge Program
You may be eligible for the Orange Knowledge Program if you’re a citizen of and
working in any of the following countries.
- Burkina Faso
- Congo (DRC)
- ●Palestinian Territory
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
Focus Countries for The Orange Knowledge Program
Additional funding is allocated for the Short Course round between 31 August to 11
October and is available to applicants from the following countries
- Palestinian Territory
- Burkina Faso
- South Sudan
To qualify for this additional funding, you must be a citizen and work in any of these
focus countries. And take note that this application is only for short courses not for
To learn more about the Orange Knowledge Program, please visit the official website. To
apply for the scholarship, you’ll need to choose a Dutch educational institution. They’ll
provide more detailed information about the various steps involved in the application and
selection process. Get access to schorlarship opportunities around the globe here.
You can find Dutch institutions that offer the Orange Knowledge