Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added banking, learning, and money and career coaching services for Ellevest members, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Senior Software Engineer at Ellevest, you will work to design, build, and support many of the core systems powering Ellevest’s software and user experience. From our web and mobile applications to our financial computation engine, our Engineering team is at the heart of our organization, ensuring a best-in-class experience for our clients. We follow agile methodologies and on a day-to-day basis, leverage Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native, among others. Our systems run on a modern AWS stack supported by exciting new technologies, and our entire team works in a highly collaborative, flexible structure to build towards high-impact client facing outcomes. This role will be positioned on the Money Movement Engineering team, focused on transactions, investments, and financial operations.
This position reports to an Engineering Manager within the Engineering Organization.
Day-to-day you will:
- Code in a collaborative, agile environment developing new features across the stack
- Write well-tested, clean code and review other team members’ contributions
- Collaborate closely with product managers, product designers, and software engineers to develop new product features and implement product enhancements
- Investigate and fix bugs throughout the codebase
- Help plan, technically direct, and implement new features across the product
- Improve application scalability, stability, and performance
- Provide support and guidance for junior team members
We’re looking for:
- At least 5 years professional software engineering experience
- Solid understanding of Ruby on Rails and good command of object-oriented and functional programming
- Solid understanding of testing frameworks and libraries such as RSpec and Factory Bot
- Passion for investigating and mapping out detailed workflows and processes
- Experience with observability and monitoring of third party APIs
- Good command of SQL and knowledge of proper database design and performance optimization
- Strong attention to detail and a passion for learning and sharing knowledge
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and cross-functional work environment. This includes working independently and on a team.
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest’s compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective annual salary range for this role is $160,000-170,000. In addition to base salary, Ellevest compensation offering for full-time employees will also include the following benefits: equity, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical, dental and vision health insurance (80% of premiums covered by employer), unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling, paid parental leave, learning and development opportunities, financial support for accessing reproductive healthcare, free access to an Ellevest account and discounts on Private Wealth Management offering. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant’s experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.
To apply for this job please visit remotive.com.