You.com is the world’s first open search engine platform that summarizes the web for users, with no ads, superior privacy choices, and personalization through preferred sources.
You.com is more than just a new search engine — it’s a movement to make the internet a place of trust, facts, and kindness — our guiding principles that we’re committing to from day one.
It’s an audacious goal, but we’re ambitious people. We’re looking for a few more ambitious folks to join our team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best Ph.D. thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Master’s in C.S. at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello!
About the Job
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our frontend and mobile development teams. You will work directly with the CTO to translate ideas into the highest quality product possible as efficiently as possible. Frontend and Mobile engineering management involves directly interfacing with product and design teams to define what we are building, how we will build it, writing some of the code to build it, and pushing for ever-greater understanding of why we are building it. While this is a management role, it will require pairing with developers or diving into the codebase to debug and architect new features. The role also comes with the opportunity to build a world-class engineering team that can execute quickly, reliably, and provide the best possible user experience. You will naturally instill a focus on organizational and operational efficiency in your engineering team alongside a product-oriented engineering mindset that is obsessed with providing users the best.
We’re looking for someone who has many of the following traits and is excited to pick up the ones they don’t!
- You are excited to jump into the code to debug, pair, or help exemplify best patterns for your team and the org. You can take product feedback and ideas and drive code patterns that will all the eng. team to scale with the product.
- You have experience writing code, designing, implementing, running, and maintaining production front-end code using some combination of React, NextJS, NodeJS, CSS, Cypress, or related frameworks.
- You have experience designing, implementing, running, and maintaining production apps on iOS and Android.
- You have experience with scalable, user-facing applications that require complex state management, real-time user events, and intricate UI/UX for both mobile and desktop.
- You understand the importance of reliable monitoring, deployment strategies, and a highly scalable and robust cloud infrastructure
- You have experience designing, building, and running engineering teams that have focused on the previous bullet points.
- You can quickly iterate with product and design teams as part of a tight user-validated feedback loop.
- You’re passionate about details – you strive for pixel-perfect code and lightning-fast load times.
- You have experience with best practices and patterns that allow the most skilled engineering teams to communicate effectively and deliver quickly and regularly.
- You are electrified by the possibilities and challenges of rapidly shipping and iterating on user facing code and building a consumer application with high public visibility.
- You are undaunted by uncertainty and ambiguity and are excited to experiment, learn, and sometimes disagree and commit with your co-workers as we all grow the product and UX together.
- You enjoy mentorship, building teams, and creating a culture that internally reflects the values that we hope our users find in the products we build.
More about You.com
You.com is an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
We’re a remote-first company, but work hours are generally within the Pacific Timezone (7 hours behind UTC). We get together in-person regularly as a team, but as long as your able to maintain significant overlap with Pacific hours during the workday we’re comfortable hiring in almost any location (location-specific legal requirements permitting).
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours
To apply for this job please visit remotive.com.