Highlights of Dual Citizenship in India
- India does not have a general provision for dual citizenship.
- But Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) Card is available to foreign nationals of Indian origin.
- OCI card allows certain benefits like visa-free travel to India.
- Candidates who are not eligible for OCI card can apply for a PIO card.
*Willing to settle overseas? Get expert guidance from Y-Axis immigration professionals.
Does India accepts Dual Citizenship?
As per the Indian Citizenship Act of 1955, the country does not accept dual citizenship. Indian citizens are required to renounce their Indian citizenship if they acquire citizenship of another country.
Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) Card
While not technically dual citizenship, the OCI card is available to foreign nationals of Indian origin. It grants them certain benefits, including lifelong visa-free travel to India, exemption from registration requirements, and parity with non-resident Indians in economic, financial, and educational matters.
Benefits of having an OCI card
- Multiple entry
- Lifelong visa to visit India
- Exemption from registration requirements
- Parity with non-resident Indians in economic
- Financial, and educational matters
- Parity with non-resident Indians in economic, financial, and educational matters.
Requirements to obtain an OCI card
- Foreign Passport
- Cancelled Indian Passport
- Persons of Indian Origin card
- Original Receipt of payment of fees
- Status of application
How to obtain an OCI card?
Step 1: OCI Card Re-issuance
OCI cardholders need to apply for re-issuance each time they acquire a new passport up to the age of 20.
Step 2: Re-issuance at Age 50
On reaching 50 years of age, OCI cardholders are required to apply for re-issuance when they acquire a new passport.
Step 3: No Re-issuance between 21 and 50
Individuals aged between 21 and 50 years with an OCI card do not need to apply for re-issuance when they obtain a new passport.
Step 4: Age-based Re-issuance Requirement
The need for re-issuance of the OCI card depends on the age of the cardholder at the time of acquiring a new passport.
Step 5: Simplified Re-issuance Process
The re-issuance of the OCI card is required for an accurate information and alignment with the cardholder’s current passport.
Need step-by-step guidance to settle overseas? Talk to Y-Axis, the world’s no. 1 Overseas Immigration Consultant.
Found this article interesting? Get more latest news updates from by following Y-Axis News Page
May I simply just say what a comfort to uncover an individual who actually knows what they are talking about on the internet. You definitely realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people have to look at this and understand this side of your story. Its surprising you arent more popular because you surely possess the gift.